A collection of restaurant related news from all over South Africa
Studio H sets out to compile the world’s largest archive of women-led food businesses in South Africa and Africa
20 July 2023
In anticipation of Women’s Month in August, Studio H is celebrating all female foodpreneurs by launching a comprehensive database of women-owned and women-led businesses in the food and drinks space in South Africa, in Africa and with ties to Africa in the rest of the world. The food design agency is urging food enthusiasts nationwide to be allies and join in to nominate their favourite female foodpreneurs. The nomination form can be found at the link in bio on their Instagram pages: @studio_h_ and @fxxd_xx
FOOD XX, established in 2018, is a movement dedicated to creating a safe space where women in the food and drinks industry can build networks, celebrate and support one another, and engage in much-needed conversations to find collective solutions.
FOOD XX presents FOOD XX WEEK from 27 to 30 July, a four-day programme featuring women-owned and women-led food and drinks businesses through various activations and collaborations.
This culminates with the FOOD XX Market on 29 & 30 July at the Oranjezicht City Farm Market. This iconic (and woman-owned) weekend staple is putting their best femme forward by showcasing their incredible women entrepreneur network. Food enthusiasts can expect a feast for the senses, wine tastings, special menu collaborations, cooking demos, panel discussions, networking and more.
There will also be a host of events in both cities, including:
- Leo’s Wine Bar is clearing their list to pour an exclusive selection from the country’s top women winemaking talent, with an exclusive (and booby) dessert collaboration with Mondvol Soet.
- Acid Food & Wine Bar’s kitchen takeover with Yang Zhao (Beijing Opera) for an unforgettable Last Sunday Art Brunch celebration.
- Food I Love You and Folios host conversations and creative revival through food.
- Chef Jenny Ward will be popping up at distiller Lucy’s Hope Distillery for a cosy dinner and cocktail feast.
- Ever Peckish and Genieve MCC have a delicious collab bubbling.
- Nosh Food Rescue’s Odd Plate Fundraising Lunch at Oakfield Farm.
- Creative classes by Chef Ru at Makers Landing and Velvet Cake Co.
- An intimate book signing with Khanyisa Malabi at JAN Innovation Studio.
- One Park is exploring flavours from their heritage with a “Cocktail vs Food” Sunday lunch.
So, clear your schedules, rally your friends and allies, and get ready to embark on a culinary adventure like no other. FOOD XX Week looks so forward to celebrating the power of women in the food industry; to inspiring, to uniting, and to creating lasting connections.
For more information and updates, follow along on Studio H and FOOD XX.