A collection of restaurant related news from all over South Africa
Celebrate Spring with Benguela Cove’s Chef Annie’s Seafood Braai Recipe - Easy To Make Calamari & Kabeljou!
02 September 2022
Enjoy Chef Annie’s gourmet twist on a local favourite, a classic seafood braai, with easy to make Calamari & Kabeljou, served with freshly baked bread!
Let’s get cooking!
- 2kg octopus
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 lemon sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 8 sprigs thyme
- Make court bouillon: add 1L water, white wine, sliced lemon, thyme, celery, onion, bay leaves and peppercorns to a pot and bring to the boil.
- Put the octopus in a bowl, add 3 tbsp salt and massage until soapy.
- Rinse thoroughly, and add to the pressure cooker, pour over the court bouillon and steam for 30-40 min until soft.
- Grill over medium heat, cut into desired pieces
- Serve with lemon and sprinkled with fresh herbs.
- 1.5-1.8kg fish (Kabeljou) cleaned and scaled
- Olive oil, for brushing and drizzling
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- Parsley stalks
- Light a grill, let the fish stand for 20 min, pat dry with a paper towel
- Brush the fish generously with olive and season inside and outside with salt and pepper
- Stuff cavity with lemon, garlic and parsley stalks
- Brush the grill with olive oil. Grill the fish over moderately high heat, uncovered, for 10 min until lightly charred and released easily. Turn and grill for another 10 min until flesh is white throughout.
- Transfer to a platter and serve.
SEAFOOD BRAAI SIDE DISHES:
Baby fennel bulbs. Brush with olive oil, season and grill until soft.
Simple Bread Dough Recipe:
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 cups warm water not over 110?
- 5½ - 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Flour for dusting
- Boiling water
- Baby leeks/spring onions
- Mix all ingredients into a dough (except leeks), let rise double in size. Knead down.
- Weigh out 50g dough balls, and wrap around the middle part of the leek. Put aside and let rest for 15 min.
- On a medium grill, grill until bread is cooked.
THE WINEMAKERS’ PICK:
Our pick for this dish is the Benguela Cove Estate Sauvignon Blanc
If preserved green figs evoke childhood memories, this wine will pour itself into your heart. These vivid aromas are joined with notes of bell pepper and gunflint, balanced with sweet tropical fruit and lemon candy. Alluring lemongrass and pineapple nuances carry through on the palate, met with racy acidity.
Harvested at optimal ripeness, the grapes were destemmed, skin contact allowed for a few hours. The wine was cold fermented with reductive processing in both stainless steel tanks and barrels. The wine was left on its lees for 120 days after fermentation, stirred regularly.
Country South Africa
Region Walker Bay
Bottle size 750 mL
Hermanus, Western Cape Braai, Breakfast, Burgers, Cape Malay, Cocktails, Coffee Shop, Contemporary, Continental, European, Fine Dining, French, Fusion, Grills, Light Meals, Organic, Picnics, Seafood, South African, Tapas, Vegan, Vegetarian, Wine bar
Moody Lagoon at Benguela Cove is set in the heart of the Benguela Cove winery complex. The restaurant is in an elevated setting with expansive views of the lagoon and the Atlantic ocean...