A collection of restaurant related news from all over South Africa
Enjoy Chef Naadhir Gatoo’s Jingha Curry at home!
16 October 2023
Chef Naadhir Gatoo, co-owner and head chef at Jasmine Fusion shares his Jingha Curry (Prawn Curry) Recipe for you to try at home!
Share your feedback on Instagram with Chef Naadir HERE
Recipe: Jingha Curry
Size: single serving
- 3 x LM king prawns uncleaned
- 2 tbsp sunflower or palm oil
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp red masala mix (ginger garlic or gochujang paste can be used depending in preference)
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- Pinch of fish spice (salt and pepper can be used)
- 100ml fresh cream (can be substituted for coconut cream)
- 60ml coconut milk
- Handful of freshly chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp dry kasuri methi (fenugreek)
*optional chopped green chilli to taste
- Rice paper
- Edible flowers
- Begin with cleaning your room temperature prawns (deveining). You can get your fishmonger to do this (*Deveined frozen prawns may breakdown with the high heat of the wok so it is always better to devein just before cooking*)
- Put your wok on the stove with a high flame, then add oil and immediately add sesame seeds
- Once the sesame seeds are starting to brown add in the garlic & prawns. Constantly move the prawns around to ensure they do not stick or burn
- The prawns will start turning pink and the garlic will brown within 30sec to a 1min. Now add the ginger and continue moving everything around in the wok for a further 30sec
- Now add red masala, Soya & fish spice, making sure it coats the prawns completely and continue cooking for 30sec
- Add cream, coconut milk and coriander, allow to simmer without mixing it
- Add kesuri methi and allow gravy to thicken. (Optional chilli can be added at this point) adjust seasoning to taste
Remove from heat and serve immediately!
Sandton Central, Gauteng European, Fine Dining, Fusion, Halaal, Indian, Mediterranean, Moroccan
STRICTLY HALAAL! Jasmine Fusion offers you a unique fine dining experience in our elegant dining room in the heart of Sandton. Contact us today to book your experience!