Theatre on the Bay & Side Dish Restaurant
Cape Town's most beautiful theatre ...
It is tempting to view pre-theatre dining as a side show; as something diminished in value when compared with the thespian genius that will later transport the audience to another place. Yet for us, this is it. We have only this opportunity to add to your evening of entertainment, so we’d rather view it as the overture; not the focal point of the night, admittedly, but an important one nevertheless.
The archetypal Caveman ate for sustenance only. The men amongst us may still be restricted to using a limited number of words on a daily basis, but now food also embodies entertainment, recreation, art, and even some science. So, it’s kind of cool to be cooking alongside Pieter Toerien’s various theatrical productions.
“WOW the food at the Theatre Café was really amazing. Everyone commented that we have not had such great food for a very long time. The food at the Café has always been good but this time it was just exceptional. Please pass on our compliments to the chef.”
Sue de Jongh – Audatex
“A really great place to go for dinner before the show … super selection of wines by the glass.” Clare Mack, www.spill.co.za
“…lovely grub, beautifully presented and with a great choice of wines makes for a perfect [pre-theatre] dining experience.” Tony Jackman, Sunday Independent
To book for the Sidedish Theatre Bistro, please contact the theatre’s Box Office on 021 438 3300. You can also book through any Computicket outlet or www.computicket.com (search under the show name, “Theatre on the Bay” or “Dinner Only – Theatre on the Bay”).
*Please note that there is no wheelchair access to the restaurant.
In order to have a pleasant and relaxed dining experience, please note:
- Monday to Friday and the late show on a Saturday – please be seated by 6.30pm to be served three courses and by 7.00pm to be served two courses before the start of the show.
- Dessert can be enjoyed at interval, or after the show if there is no interval.
- Dinner is served after the early performance on a Saturday.
- The restaurant opens at 6pm.
- Gratuity is not included in the menu prices. All bookings of 6 or more diners are subject to a 10% gratuity on the food and drink totals.
- Corkage is R45 per bottle, and is limited to one bottle per table
We are Halaal friendly, using Halaal-certified meat and chicken in our kitchens and not working with any pork products. However, we do use cooking utensils for both Halaal and non-Halaal food preparation and we do use alcohol in some meals. We can provide Halaal meals from a certified provider for two or more people if booked in advance, but we cannot guarantee that the cost will be similar to the Bistro menu. The restaurant is not Kosher certified.
- Cuisine : Bistro, Halaal, Light Meals
- Ambience : Relaxed, Romantic, Trendy, Upmarket
- Entertainment : Theatre
- Dress : Smart/Casual
Place of Interest
Credit Cards Accepted