Le Sel @ the Cradle
Arguably the best view of any restaurant in this part of the country
Set in 3000 ha of game reserve, Le Sel’s surroundings are breathtaking. The restaurant is architecturally magnificent with extensive outdoor seating and retractable doors that literally let the outside in. It comes with a long, wide verandah that endows diners with a 180 degree view of the game filled valley below, rolling Magaliesberg hills beyond and above that, blue sky. It’s the place to linger over sundowners and dinner or a long weekend lunch. Children are always welcome. The menu is bright, fresh and chic, suited to summery outdoor eating. On it you will find things like genuine Belgian waffles for breakfast; grilled baby calamari with romesco sauce or; seared tuna Niçoise style. Wrap it all up with a light hazelnut meringue or poached pears with crème anglaise for dessert. The menu changes every few weeks and converts into a weekend-long tapas menu on the last weekend of every month. The concise wine list offers interesting and well priced choices - and that goes for the Cap Classique too. If you simply can’t decide, there are some very decent red, white and rosé wines to be had by the glass. Children and adults alike are invited to book game drives and game walks and view some of the 12 species of antelope and 197 different species of birds.
- Weekend family lunches
- Tapas weekends on the last weekend of every month
- Splendid picnics with picnic and ice bucket supplied
- Business lunches
- Specialized Food and Wine days
- Private Functions
- The restaurant and adjoining function building merge together to form a stunning wedding venue. The function room, called the Stone Room, is a decorative stone, steel and glass facility which can be used for ceremonies.
- Personalized plated set menus for up to 180 people seated can be served comfortably in the restaurant.
- An all-inclusive wedding package includes options on DJs, florists and accommodation.
- Outdoor ceremonies and functions can also be arranged.
- The Stone Room also provides ideal conference facilities with high ceilings.
- The glass doors slide open to reveal a long balcony with magnificent views.
- The simple, flexible building seats 160 in cinema style, 60 in schoolroom and 45 in a U-shape.
- Ideal for day conferences, lectures, concerts, film launches, exhibitions or ceremonies.
- Standard equipment is provided for and special equipment can be arranged.
- A tailor-made menu can be ordered in advance.
Picnics at Le Sel @ the Cradle
- Sites situated along the Motsetse Stream offer picturesque areas for arranged picnics.
- Guests are served a scrumptious 3-course buffet with bar and waiter service
- These private and peaceful "bush-colonial" picnics are available to parties of 10 or more
Cellar and Boma
- The Cellar is a rustic fire and candle-lit banqueting hall, ideal for private parties of 20 - 60 people
- Double stable doors open out from this rectangular monastic room into the veld and the night sky
- The dry-stone Boma is available for evening functions of 20 - 80 people
- Waiter service, spit roasts and a private bar are offered by firelight under the moon and stars
Coco Reinarhz (Head Chef)
Coco attended the Hotel Management School at Ecole Hotelière de Namur in Belgium, but his heart was in Africa. He returned to Kinshasa to take control of his mother's business interests upon her death.
He later became Head Chef and Duty Manager at Hotel Le Marly in Abidjan, Ivory Coast. In the Ivory Coast he developed a lifelong passion for West African seafood cuisine. Political turmoil in the Ivory Coast caused Coco and his family to flee to Belgium where he became the Head Chef at Château de Sombreffe, outside Brussels. He was awarded the prestigious Trois Fourchette Michelin award.
He has now made South Africa his home and shares his heart to the country through his food.
He recently co-authored To the Banqueting House: African Cuisine an Epic Journey with award-winning writer Anna Trapido. This won an international award at the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards. The avant-garde Pan-African cookbook received rave reviews in publications such as Paris Match, Drum, Food and Home Entertaining, Oprah Magazine, Taste and New Visions Africa.
Dr Billy Gallagher, Honorary Life President of the World Association of Chefs Societies said of the book:
"passion and diversity combine elegantly and evocatively and the young fresh authors make African food accessible to modern palates worldwide."
He has recently acquired Le Sel @ The Cradle restaurant and Function Venue.
Group Capacity : 160+ People
- Cuisine : Belgian, Breakfast, Buffet, Contemporary, Fine Dining, Game, International, Picnics, Tapas
- Ambience : Country, Family, Fireplace, Quiet, Relaxed, Romantic, Trendy
- Dress : Smart/Casual
Credit Cards Accepted
Thursdays: Lunch only
Fridays: Lunch and Dinner
Saturdays: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
Sundays: Breakfast and Lunch
Available for private tailor made events from Mondays to Sundays.